The World Rally Championship leader, Thierry Neuville, is the first in a series of drivers to commit to his future by signing with Hyundai Motorsport until 2021. This happens one month after the team director, Michel Nandan, stated that the two parts were about to extend their association.
Neuville and co-driver Nicolas Gilsoul joined the Korean manufacturer in 2014 and have fulfilled nine victories since then. They are currently at the top of WRC competition table with five times champion Sébastien Ogier, facing this weekend’s Rally Turkey (September 13 to 16).
The 30 year old driver said his target has always been to give continuity to his carreer by staying in the team. And he added:“There’s a fantastic family atmosphere and I get along with my team mates very well. This is very important to me. Together with Nicolas, who has played a key role in our success, our aim is to complete this season in the strongest way, so as to seize the title.”
Nandan said that Neuville and Gilsoul were outstanding ambassadors of Hyundai in the World Championship: “Both have played a crucial role in the development of the Hyundai Motorsport WRC program during the last five years, helping us in many important milestones in the path from our first victory in Germany 2014 to our current battle for the championship. As we approach a thrilling conclusion of this year’s WRC, with the drivers and brands championships yet to be decided, it’s significant to us that we can already look forward to 2019 and beyond.”
The negotiations at this time are decisive for the teams’ aspirations in the World Rally, so, before finishing the season, they are planning the future of their duos at the next finish lines by now.